*FYI: this goes into a lot of detail, but I thought it would help me to write my emotions down. It’s kind of for journaling purposes…just so ya know :)*
What a rough few days it’s been. My parents got cute little Sparky when he was just a baby. He was born on the 4th of July…thus the name Sparky! I loved it. It always fit him. I wish we had pictures of him from that time! He was a little walking fluff ball and his legs were so short his belly almost touched the ground. He had the softest fur and he was so snuggly. Growing up, I wouldn’t ever really say that we were “dog people”. So we were all really surprised when my mom got him (no one more surprised than my dad!) just because it was kind of random and spur of the moment. Little did we know how he would change us. My parents had him for about 4 years and then when they moved to Hong Kong we got him. It’s been 2 years that we had him and I LOVE THAT DOG! I didn’t ever realize what you can feel for a pet, until I had him.
I can’t believe he’s gone. It’s been heartbreaking. I always thought it would be hard but it’s been WAY harder than I ever imagined. He had chronic colitis and it gave him tummy trouble that just kept coming and coming. I could tell he wasn’t as happy as usual, and he would try to hide his accidents in the house because he was embarrassed. Anyway, the time came that my parents and Mike and I decided it would be best for him to be put down. That whole experience was awful!! I didn’t know it would end so fast and when the doctor said his heart wasn’t beating, I wanted to yell out “Never mind! I take it back! What did I do?”
Mike and I both were crying and just petting him and telling him we love him. We spent about 15 minutes in the room alone with him. All I kept saying was “I love you. I miss you so much. I hope you can hear me. I’m so sorry…”. Ugh. Mike snuggled him up in a blanket. It was hard because his eyes wouldn’t close. So it looked like he was awake laying there. But his eyes got foggy and he started getting cold, and we knew it was time to leave. We said our last goodbyes and left to the parking lot where I just broke down.
Coming home without him here has been hard. I keep thinking I’ll see him run around the corner when he hears the string cheese wrappers open! Thankfully today has been better than yesterday, and I know it’ll all be ok. Also, the kids have been dealing with it great and it hasn’t affected them very much which I’m grateful for. When I first told Madi that Sparky had to go live in Heaven, she said sadly “Then I’ll be the oldest kid in the family. We had 5 people in our family and now we’ll only have 4..”. They really saw him as their brother :).
Anyway, all I can say is I’m SO thankful for that little guy. As difficult as it’s been to say goodbye, I have so many good memories of him! He taught me a lot about animals and reminded me that they’re Heavenly Father’s creations too. He had such a sweet spirit and just wanted to make everyone happy. You know that song from Wicked? Well, I have been changed for good. I love you forever, Sparky!! Miss you.
2 comments:
You made me cry too.
Emily! I wanted to cry when I read that. We are so sorry for you guys! He was so sweet! We love you!
Post a Comment